Saturday, March 26, 2016

Stephen King Did Too Good A Job

I have a confession to make: I have only read less than a handful of Stephen King novels, up til now.

I know! He's one of my favourite authors; and I'm an author. Shame on me. But here's the real story:

The movie Carrie, based on his first book, traumatized me. I'm not sure I've been the same since. Don't get me wrong; I saw the genius---wait, saw it? I felt it every time the lights went out--thank god I wasn't an only child or I'd have been crawling into my parents' bed.

Accidentally, I happened to watch The Shining -- once again, the trauma of Carrie came back. I'm not sure if I don't like the horror genre for movies or if King scared me so much, I now cannot watch them. 

I was a big reader growing up. When I moved to the Goulds in Newfoundland & Labrador, from St. John's, I was put in a special class for reading with one other girl who got the top marks in everything and graduated as our valedictorian, but I could not read King's book. I already had Carrie-induced PTSD.

Only years later did I let down the gate and allow myself to cross the moat and enter his written lands. I realized that maybe now I can handle it. He still scares the shit out of me, but if I only read those parts in broad daylight, things are fine. So, I have now decided to take the journey back through the Stephen King universe--don't think I'm brave enough for the movies--and am going to read his full list of books, starting with: The Shining. 

I know Carrie was his first, and I plan to read it, but I need to work up to it.

Fun tidbit: 
Stephen King Novels in 140-characters:

No comments:

Post a Comment